Tuesday

Web Apps, Where's the Beef?

023/365

I have recently converted to using solely web apps on both my MacBook Pro and my iPhone but I have two gripes:

1. The Mac OS does not allow placement of web apps on the dock.
  • How hard would it be to add this feature to the OS? I mean Apple already uses this technology in the iPhone. Seems a bit fishy. Is this another attempt by Apple to stifle innovation for control? Maybe when the allure of the iPad wears off they'll add this feature to their other products.
2. Notifications are not integrated on the iPhone OS.
  • For example, I no longer use iOS Mail instead I use the Gmail web app but the Gmail web app does not alert me when I have a new email. Without that feature it makes that web app kind of pointless. Example two, same thing goes for google voicemail web app. The only way I know that I receive a VM is when I get an email with the VM in it. Now, I don't need the web app at all.

Now, I don't know a lot about development but these two things seem to be overlooked in the Web 2.0 conversion. I bet a dev could write an app that allows for web apps to be integrated into a Mac's desktop Dock and write a preifirial app that notifies you when one of your web apps is updated on an iPhone. Where is that dev?

..to be continued. Stay tuned. ;)




No comments: